Author Topic: Airplane Noise (Part 2)  (Read 118502 times)

Offline Chingwa

  • Council Member
  • ******
Re: Airplane Noise (Part 2)
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
VRRROOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!  I'm sorry, were you trying to sleep?
 :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline lalochezia

  • Mayor
  • *******
Re: Airplane Noise (Part 2)
« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2016, 08:53:12 AM »
~615am it started here. FFS.

Offline AmazingJason

  • Activist
  • *****
Re: Airplane Noise (Part 2)
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
I'm wearing my Peltor No-Touch earplugs along with my construction earmuffs and having the AC on. You definitely still hear every plane, but it's helped greatly to reduce the annoyance level. YMMV.

Offline jhlifer

  • Activist
  • *****
Re: Airplane Noise (Part 2)
« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »
Last Sunday was my breaking point.  Having diligently written down the days the planes have taken off over us since last October, I decided to write to the Port Authority's Community Relations person.  You may recall we had a local meeting on airplane noise in October 2015, which is where I met him.  Below is his response to my email, which follows his....  We will see if anything changes.  Thought you all should be aware of the PA's response.

Daniel

It is good to hear from you.  Thank you for contacting me regarding  Runway 22 Departures at LGA.   With respect to the referenced flight activity over Jackson Heights, please know  that LGA Operations works closely with the FAA Tower to minimize utilization of Runway 22 for departures to the extent possible, taking into consideration quality of life concerns of the local community.  However,  certain wind conditions occasionally necessitate the FAA’s determination to use this Runway for departing flights (even when we are not implementing construction).

Last October, I did have the opportunity to brief you and members of the Jackson Heights community on 2 key projects that we were completing in 2015.  As advised, both the Federally mandated safety areas and paving and milling of Runway 13-31, were successfully completed in 2015.

However, there  have been additional closures of Runway 13-31 due to the rehabilitation and construction of the high speed taxiways connected to Runway 13-31. Please note that while construction crews work diligently to complete the taxiway work in a timely manner, weather conditions which dictate the construction schedule, have sometimes been an impediment to this goal.   Currently, weather permitting, the completion of the taxiway work is scheduled to be completed by Sunday afternoon.

Please know that construction work is critical in order for us to meet and surpass all FAA regulations.  Although, additional weekend closures will occur down the road, I do not anticipate any further closures of Runway 13-31 for the remainder of the Summer.   If this changes, I will alert you.

I understand your frustration and encourage you to file noise complaints either via the  Port Authority’s toll-free phone  number, 1-800-225-1071, or at the following link on our website: http://www.planenoise.com/panynj/daPRAbr9/qs114wbt.php.

Please also feel free to contact me if I may be of any further assistance on this matter.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian R. Van Praagh
Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
Acting Director
Government & Community Relations – New York
4 WTC, 24th floor
New York, New York 10007
p) 212-435-6938
c) 917-284-3536